Licensed in Missouri and Kansas

What To Do If You’re Injured On Someone Else’s Property

Premises liability cases are one of our top practice areas. We love slip or trip and fall cases, or any other premises liability cases. They have been one of my mainstays since I started on my own in 2008. Having developed a niche for these cases, here are a few tips for anyone who is the victim of premises liability.

  1. Report the incident to the property owner or manager. This should be done both in person and in writing. When you report the incident, request a copy of the incident report and write down the name and contact information of the person you reported it to. When you report the incident, request that all surveillance footage be preserved and follow up that request in writing.
  2. If on public property, report the incident to the city you’re in immediately. Some cities have special laws limiting the amount of time you have to report the claim. If you don’t report it within that time frame, you cannot get any money compensation. Kansas City, for example, has a 90-day reporting period.
  3. Seek medical treatment. If you’re injured, seek medical care immediately. Do not delay treatment. Any gap in treatment will be used against you to argue you’re not as hurt as you say you are. Also, follow your doctor's orders and do not miss any appointments.

Please contact our firm if you’ve been hurt on someone else’s property. We specialize in these cases and can help you maximize your recovery.

More Resources: