Licensed in Missouri and Kansas

Insurance Coverage

Many people don’t realize that when you get hurt in a car crash, your recovery may not be limited to the negligent driver’s insurance coverage. Generally speaking, the insurance company of the driver responsible for a crash must pay you for your damages up to the negligent driver’s policy limits. But, your own insurance coverage plan may provide additional coverage.

Underinsured motorist coverage provides coverage if you’re hurt by someone who doesn’t have enough insurance to fully compensate you for your losses. You usually have to ask for this coverage when getting insurance and it usually makes your premiums a little higher. But, it can be very helpful if you are hurt in a crash by someone who only has state-minimum coverage.

Underinsured motorist coverage can also be stacked if you have it on multiple vehicles, but only up to the state minimum on the cars you weren’t driving at the time of the crash. For example, let’s say you’re hit by someone who only has $25,000.00 in insurance coverage, but you’re $1,000,000.00 hurt. However, you bought $50,000.00 in underinsured motorist coverage for three of your cars. In addition to the $25,000.00 from the negligent driver, you would be entitled to recover $100,000.00 from your own insurance provider.

If you’ve been hurt in a car crash, but the negligent driver doesn’t have enough insurance to cover your losses, please contact our firm to analyze your insurance coverage to see if you can more compensation.