5 Steps to Make Your Car Crash Easier to Handle
When you are in a car accident, it is difficult to know what to do. Often times you are shaken up and your attention is focused elsewhere, on the health of your family and yourself. By following these five steps any legal issues will be much easier to deal with.
1. Call the police immediately, make sure a report is made and ask for a copy.
A police report helps provide objective evidence about how a car accident happened and helps provide important information about the people involved.
2. If you are hurt, seek medical attention immediately and do exactly what your doctor or health care provider tells you.
Even if you have to go to a free medical clinic, taking care of your injuries and health problems is the most important thing to do after a car accident because you need to understand your injuries and get help for them.
3. Save all documents, including the police report, medical records, and repair estimates.
Your lawyer will need to collect these documents and if you already have them, your case will move along much quicker.
4. If possible, take photographs of your car before it is totaled.
Seeing the damage to a car has a big impact on people, including insurance adjusters and juries. Being able to show them how damaged your car was will greatly help your case.
5. Do not sign or agree to anything from an insurance company before you know your rights and speak to an attorney.
Sometimes insurance companies will ask you to sign documents that will waive your right to other remedies or invite legal trouble down the road.
If you or a loved one has been injured in a motor vehicle accident, contact the office today to arrange a consultation with a knowledgeable Kansas City personal injury lawyer who can advise you of your legal rights and options.